Donate your car
Donate your car in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo Counties to Cars for Homes™, Habitat for Humanity’s car donation program helps support local families fight the Bay Area housing affordability crisis. We accept cars, trucks, RV’s, vans, SUV’s, boats and motorcycles whether they are running or not. Towing is free!
Since 2004, Cars for Homes™ donations have provided almost $2 million in funds to support Bay Area Habitat for Humanity affiliates build homes and strengthen communities. Your vehicle donation will help a local family build a stable and secure future.
Donating your car to Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco is quick and easy. All you need to do is complete the three step process. Your donation may also be eligible for tax deduction purposes if you itemize (consult the IRS or your tax advisor for details).
To speak with a Habitat Greater San Francisco staff member about how to donate your car, please contact Nell Cloutier, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 415-795-2154.
Why should I donate my car to Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco?
- All net proceeds from the sale of your vehicle will support Habitat Greater San Francisco and help local families here in our community.
- Your vehicle donation may qualify for a tax deduction.
- It’s fast and easy to do
How do I donate my car in the San Francisco Bay Area?
You can donate your car in 3 easy steps:
- Start your donation online by navigating to our donation wizard, or call our hotline: 1-877-277-4344
- Our team will ask about your vehicle, including the make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage.
- When your vehicle is accepted, schedule a day and time for us to pick it up. Please do not drop your vehicle off at any of our locations, we will come to you!
What paperwork do I need to donate my car in California?
- The State for California will require a Certificate of Title in order to donate your car.
- To complete your car donation, transfer your title by entering the name of the agency that processes our car donations, ADVANCED REMARKETING SERVICES in the buyer/purchaser field. Then, PRINT and SIGN your name in the seller/owner field EXACTLY as it appears at the top of the title.
Car Donation FAQ
Cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, snowmobiles, farm equipment, construction equipment, boats, and airplanes!
Call toll-free at 1-877-277-4344 or make your boat, truck, RV or car donation online.
Provide the following information about the vehicle you wish to donate
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Current mileage
Most vehicles with proper title information are accepted, unless the costs of processing and towing fees exceed the auction value of the vehicle.
Cars for Homes accepts any vehicle as long as it is whole and has four inflated tires (so it can be moved by our towing operators).
In rare cases, Cars for Homes may be unable to accept a vehicle if the cost of transport and processing fees would exceed the auction value of the vehicle.
You will be given instructions for processing the vehicle's title. If the title cannot be located, assistance is available.
Your donated car is then assigned for pickup and sale.
Arrangements are then made to have the title processed.
You will be contacted to coordinate the vehicle and key pickup by a licensed and insured member of the national network of contractors who work for Advanced Remarketing Services -- Habitat for Humanity's authorized agent.
Your vehicle will be sold through a national network of diverse venues on behalf of Habitat for Humanity
After the car has been sold, you will receive an acknowledgement letter thanking you for your support and providing the vehicle sale information This letter may be used as a receipt for tax deduction purposes; additional tax documents will be provided when required by IRS regulations as a result of the sale of the vehicle.