Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco sells affordable homes to low-income households within San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin Counties. Approved homeowners qualify for a monthly housing payment (mortgage, property tax, insurance, HOA fee—if applicable) equal to 30% of their gross monthly income. Since 1989, we have built 248 homes within the tri-county area.
Process to become a homeowner.
Applicants must meet our income and credit guidelines, in addition to other requirements, such as being willing and able to perform up to 500 hours of sweat equity (volunteer hours) on the construction site, attending workshops, and volunteering in other Habitat programs.
Our selection process includes a review of your finances and credit, employment history, residency, and other qualifications.
Applications are only made available when homes are available. If you have applied in the past, you will need to submit a new application each time we have homes available. All applications that are received on time and filled out completely will be entered into a lottery. The lottery ONLY determines the order in which your application will be reviewed. It does not guarantee you a home.
Do I meet the requirements?
- Applicant/co-applicant cannot have owned a home within the past three years at time of application.
- Household must have lived together consistently for the past twelve months at time of application.
- Applicants have a minimum credit score of 650.
- Applicants have a history of reliable payments on their credit report.
- Applicant’s debt to income ratio is below 45%.
- Households with an annual gross income of up to 80% of the area median income (AMI) may qualify. Current 2018 AMI ranges for San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. We are currently awaiting new income figures from the California Department of Housing and Community Development for 2019.
- Have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Thank you for your interest in our homeownership program.
- We currently do not have homes available to apply for at this time. In the meantime, if you have not done so before, please make sure to fill out the online inquiry form at the bottom of this page so that you are in our database. When homes do become available, you will be notified via email and/or mail. Also, you can always look at our website for updates.
Please note that we do not have a wait list.
Due to a high volume of interest and need, we do not accept drop-ins. For any questions, please contact us via the form below.