Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco offers two programs for homeowners, our affordable homeownership program for new homeowners and the home preservation program for existing homeowners looking for help with critical repairs to their homes. To learn more, please select the program below that you are interested in.
COVID Update: our main office is temporarily closed and not open to visitors. All Habitat GSF staff are working remotely and are available to assist you. To get in touch regarding homeownership please email: HDDIntake@Habitatgsf.org or call 415 625 1041.
Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco sells affordable homes to low-income households within San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin Counties. Approved homeowners qualify for a monthly housing payment (mortgage, property tax, insurance, HOA fee—if applicable) equal to 30% of their gross monthly income. Since 1989, we have built 248 homes within the tri-county area.
Process to Become a Homeowner
Applicants must meet our income and credit guidelines, in addition to other requirements, such as being willing and able to perform up to 500 hours of sweat equity (volunteer hours) on the construction site, attending workshops, and volunteering in other Habitat programs.
Our selection process includes a review of your finances and credit, employment history, residency, and other qualifications.
Applications are only made available when homes are available. If you have applied in the past, you will need to submit a new application each time we have homes available. All applications that are received on time and filled out completely will be entered into a lottery. The lottery ONLY determines the order in which your application will be reviewed. It does not guarantee you a home.
Do I meet the requirements?
- Applicant/co-applicant cannot have owned a home within the past three years at time of application.
- Household must have lived together consistently for the past twelve months at time of application.
- Applicants have a minimum credit score of 650.
- Applicants have a history of reliable payments on their credit report.
- Applicant’s debt to income ratio is below 45%.
- Households with an annual gross income of up to 80% of the area median income (AMI) may qualify. AMI is calculated and updated each year by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please see the 2020 chart below for reference:
Interested in Homeownership?
Fill out our Homeownership Application form
If you are interested in future homeownership opportunities, please fill out the short inquiry form below. When new homeownership opportunitites become available we’ll get in touch!
Find partner resources
We are piloting a partnership with My Home Pathway, a mobile app that provides guidance, education and resources to first-time home buyers. Get started on your path to homeownership.